Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Constant Gardener


Do you remember that movie, The Constant Gardener? So sad, and not really what I want to talk about today; but the title popped into my head yesterday as I dutifully dragged the hose around the sad remains of my garden.
I love to garden in spring and early summer, when it seems that everything bursts forth joyously and effortlessly. I'm not really in charge then; nature is simply following it's imperative. Pale new leaves, green and crinkled, form a soft canopy overhead, and the roses tumble with wild abandon.

Blue flowers are a constant in my garden. Iris, veronica, catmint all reflect the color of the sky.

Filling pots and containers on the deck is instant gratification, and the summer progresses in a soft riot of color.

But somewhere around the middle of August, disenchantment sets in. Suddenly, everything is looking a little worn and tattered. Cinderella has stayed too long at the ball.


It will soon be autumn.Even though the temperatures still flirt with 90, there are mornings when the mist rises and the air is crisp.

I think I'll go buy some mums. Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I love the first two photos-so lovely! And I adore your red house-how lovely that you share so much history with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the handiwork of Mother Nature in the early spring and summer months. But I gotta tell ya, I'm ready for autumn. I'm tired of the humidity and I'm ready to decorate in oranges and reds and mums and leaves and all things Fall.

    Your garden is beautiful btw!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took the words right out of my mouth! My garden is looking a little wilted :-)

    Hurry fall!!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so excited to meet new blogging "friends"! Thanks so much for visiting, and for your nice comments!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house is so lovely and you photograph it all so nicely. Just my taste! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!