Forgive me a little introspection, but today is my birthday. I turn 51. Yikes! It's a little scary to even type that. For years at a time in my 30's and 40's, I never really knew how old I was. I know that sounds silly, but if you had asked me my age ten years ago, I would have had to stop and think a minute. Age didn't seem all that important. Now, suddenly, it does.
For the past year, I have seen my in-laws practically age before my eyes, and that has been a sobering sight. I lost my own parents when I was still too young to consider their deaths a memento mori. That will not be the case with my in-laws.
And now, of course, there are the incontrovertible signs of age. I guess part of it is the graying hair, and the much fought-against weight gain. My daughter got her driver's permit on Wednesday -- God, do I feel old! And the menopause thing is such a barrel of laughs, too.
So, to celebrate my birthday, I have decided to self-medicate with Hershey's Kisses. Lots of them. And to compile a list of things I'd like to be when I grow up. :) So here goes:
- An astronaut. No, not really, but I would like to learn more about the stars. Be able to identify some constellations in the night sky.
- An architect. Well, at least enough of one to help make our Little Red House a bit more functional and slightly bigger.
- A fashion designer or a crazy bag lady. I'm a little conflicted on this one. Some days I wish I could put together a decent outfit. Other days (and there are many more of these) I wish I lived in a place where everyone wears sweatpants.
- A gardener. In a beautiful English country garden. I don't want to be in charge; just one of the many minions who pull weeds and make compost. There is something so comforting in the thought of working out-of-doors with the seasons, in the midst of such beauty. Lovely.
- A chef. Or at least someone who does not panic at the prospect of getting dinner on the table every night.
- An author. Of something slightly longer than a blog! :)
Well, I think that's enough of a list to be getting on with. Excuse me while I go get some more Hershey's Kisses.
Edited to add: Today is also Amanda's birthday. Please go visit her and wish her a happy day!