Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Willowwood Arboretum, Late Summer in the Cottage Garden



Isn't there something just so happy about yellow flowers? I used to be a real English garden snob -- nothing but blues, pinks and whites for me. But that meant that there were not many choices for late summer blooms in my oh-so-genteel pastel garden.




No room for exuberant heliopsis, or the smiling faces of black-eyed Susans. No beautiful bronze chrysanthemums. Nothing to relate to the fast-approaching autumn colors.




But I have learned my lesson thanks, in part, to the many local gardens where I take my camera out for a spin. ;)

These images are from Willowwood Arboretum, which I have visited several times this year.




The cottage garden in front of the house is laid out on an axis from the front door, with a crazy paving stone walkway bisected by a grassy path.




The plantings crowd the stone path with a wonderful exuberance, softening the hard edges. The view (above) shows the house at the end of the garden.






I just love this beautiful iron gate, which leads into the garden from the lawn in front of the house. There is a wonderful combination of stone, evergreen shrubs and plantings which together make this garden a very inviting place.




300 Longview Road
Far Hills, NJ 07931-2625

22 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm sorry I missed yesterday's Mosaic Monday!!! I have come to enjoy that endeavor! I challenges me in some very interesting ways just as your pictures and others challenge me to take my photography more seriously! Thank you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We so seldom see homes with front gardens like this. I know of just two in all of this area. It's long been my goal to have one, but then I am reminded of the snow plow and think better of it. Still, what an amazing look! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos of this delightful spot on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a beautiful place to explore

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this moment my garden is full of the yellows of autumn, with a sprinkling of pink from the sedums. Beautiful pictures of a lovely park. Take care and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love having yellow scattered through the garden. Willowwood looks like a wonderful place to visit! Very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The path leading up to the cottage is just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yellow is my favorite color. I love the textures and shapes and heights in this garden. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mary! This morning I was thinking i should do a new post and I got my inspiration after reading your blog. You so often inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...I have got to get out there in my yard and start weeding!!

    Gorgeous photos Mary...have you ever contacted any of these gardens you visit regarding selling them your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely Stunning. I love yellow also.
    Love the path and garden.
    Have a most beautiful day. Im very blessed with this post .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Mary! I remember when you posted photos of this same garden, several months ago. It was neat for me to see because of the evergreens in the garden. I had just settled on a plan to put arborvitae "pillars" in the corners of the border so that it would have a little structure. Then, you posted the photo and it really helped me to visualize it. I JUST bought my little arborvitae, this past weekend. At the last moment, a lot of people tried to dissuade me but, they didn't have my little vision. giggle! I just needed to see this! Thank you very much. =]

    What a beautiful place! I would feel like a character out of a wonderful old novel, just from wandering around. Enriching!

    Love, Katy Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how pretty...your yellow photos are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place to visit and take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful place, beautiful photos!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just love the beautiful cottage garden and the
    house is something to die for. I am green with envy. It reminds me of English gardens.
    Just beautiful. Thanks. Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow,absolutely stunning! What a fabulous garden.....
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful. I love the gate, too, with all the textures around it: stone, iron, greenery. What a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i really like the way you have done your garden and the way it looks, working outdoors is no easy job and needs lots of patience, i admire what you have done, last week i brough two garden chairs that were too pretty and look great in my garden,

    ReplyDelete
  19. It must be so fun walking along this garden...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary, thank you for transporting me from this office chair to these divine gardens. I have been remiss, falling so far behind, it's always a reminder to stop and breathe when I come to your place.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. You'll have to link a garden post on my Garden Party "Cottage Flora Thursday's"...xoox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!